Happy Pi Day! (3/14/15)
To honor this once-a-century event, we must eat pie.
I’ve been craving chocolate like crazy lately, so I decided to try making something chocolaty and creamy — but I didn’t want something full of sugar and cream. A few weeks ago, I tried this raw vegan chocolate pudding recipe from Ohsheglows.com. It was delicious! But there was definitely a banana-y aftertaste. But I loved the consistency, and the use of raw cacao powder and avocados.I went in search of something similar that I could make that would not include the bananas.
I found it. The recipe I ended up with is adapted from this beautiful Chocolate Pie recipe from Pure and Simple.
I made some modifications that I think make it creamier. It’s not overly sweet, which I like, but you could always add more honey if you want it sweeter.
Enjoy! Let me know what you think!
- 1 and ¼ cup almond meal/flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil (softened)
- 3 TBS raw honey
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 3 ripe avocados
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅛ cup raw honey
- 4 TBS coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- For the crust:
- Mix almond flour, coconut flour and coconut oil together in a large bowl with a fork
- Add honey and salt and combine with your hands until it forms a dough-like ball
- Press into a 9″ pie plate (it may not reach up to the lip, you can double this crust recipe if you like your crust thicker)
- Place into the freezer while you work on the filling
- For the filling:
- In a blender or food processor mix avocados, maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla and honey until very smooth
- Transfer mixture into a bowl and add the cacao powder.
- Mix will with a spoon
- Spoon the filling into the pie crust